HelloFresh delivers fresh ingredients to your door, along with the instructions to transform them into delicious meals. This subscription-box service helps people enjoy healthy, home-cooked food without the hassle of meal planning and grocery shopping.
HelloFresh US faced two main problems:
- High volume of incoming messages. They needed at least one customer-service agent to monitor incoming Facebook messages round the clock, just to keep up.
- Slow response times. It took their support team between six and twelve hours to get through all the necessary steps to resolve a customer issue from one of these messages.
Their customer-care team was overworked and could never get ahead, and customers themselves were getting frustrated with the long wait times.
When chatbots came up on the HelloFresh team’s radar in late 2017, they started exploring how they could use one to help with customer support and engagement. And so, the idea for Freddy the Messenger bot was born.
“Within just a few days, I was able to build out the customer service framework of Freddy and demo it for the rest of the team,” explains Alex Curtis, Senior Associate from the HelloFresh Social Media Team. “That demo got everybody on board, which I think says a lot about just how easy it is to create a chatbot with Chatfuel.”
While the team originally designed Freddy to be a customer-service tool, it’s now become much more. They've used their Chatfuel bot to improve engagement and increase conversions, as it’s been a part of all kinds of different HelloFresh marketing campaigns in the last two years. For example:
- For Black Friday 2017 and 2018, the team created a Facebook post that contained a riddle or a question. When a user commented the right answer, Freddy would automatically reach out via Messenger with a promo code. In 2018, this campaign had a 64% conversion rate—meaning that well over half of users who received the code used it to place an order!
- HelloFresh uses the same method to interact with users when they launch new products, like Craft Burgers, or when other holidays come up throughout the year. Users respond to an engaging page post, and Freddy instantly sends them a message.
- The team also equipped Freddy with a few features just for fun, to provide users with a memorable brand experience that would keep them engaged. Freddy’s Breakfast Quiz, for example, is an interactive way for users to learn a little something related to HelloFresh’s products.
- HelloFresh US even uses Freddy to recommend music! They call it Get Grooving: when the bot suggests a playlist (curated by HelloFresh’s social media team) to match the meal kit the user will be cooking that evening.
- Finally, HelloFresh uses Freddy as a tool for sharing seasonal tips, tricks, and blog content around the holidays. They call it their Holiday Hotline, and it’s yet another way to create a unique, helpful experience for prospects and customers.
Freddy has been a hit with HelloFresh prospects and customers—and, of course, their support team has benefited in a big way, too. They used these Chatfuel features to do it:
- Acquire Users from Comments. It’s how HelloFresh set up Freddy to automatically message people who commented on their page posts. Then, once the user responds to Freddy’s first message, they become a reachable bot subscriber. This feature was key in several of HelloFresh’s Facebook campaigns.
- Quick replies. The HelloFresh team built quick replies into most every part of their bot. That way, users can tap suggested topics instead of having to type. Quick replies make for a seamless user experience and help keep the conversation on track.
- Gallery cards. HelloFresh’s business is based on fresh, healthy food, which means they have plenty of bright, colorful graphics to catch a user’s eye. They played to this strength by incorporating gallery cards in their bot, like to showcase different products, recipes, or blog posts.
In 2018, HelloFresh’s average response time to customer inquiries was five hours. Now, in 2019, it’s dropped dramatically to one hour and 11 minutes. That’s a 76% decrease in response times, even though they now get 47% more messages on Messenger overall!
"Thanks to our bot, a customer conversation that used to take 6-12 hours now takes just a few minutes to address, and sometimes to resolve entirely,” says Curtis. This shift also means the support team has more time to deal with complex inquiries, instead of spending so much time answering the same routine ones over and over.
Customer satisfaction has increased with the quicker service, and Freddy is creating a positive impression for users in other ways, too. Chatting with the bot is instant, interactive, fun, and helpful, and it makes HelloFresh stand out from the competition.
“Chatfuel totally streamlined the way we handle customer-service inquiries on social media, Curtis shares, “and it lets us provide an incredible experience for our fans that you really don’t get anywhere else in the industry. On top of all that, it was easy enough for us to learn without any extensive training or experience.”
A fresh take on customer support and engagement
Now that you’ve got a taste for the success a chatbot can bring you, it’s time to build a Messenger bot for your own business.
Learn everything you need to know about using a bot to boost sales for an ecommerce store, or get tips on creating your own Black Friday/Cyber Monday chatbot campaign. You can even use our new plugin to recover more abandoned-cart revenue! If you want to be one of the first to test it out, sign up for our VIP list.