When deciding where to direct users who engage with a Facebook ad, we’ve talked before about how Messenger bots are the new landing pages. They’re personalized, they’re instant, they’re easy to build, and they’re innovative. That’s why they routinely return lower costs per conversion and a higher return on ad spend than a traditional landing page.
If you’re ready to produce these kinds of results with your Facebook ad campaigns, it’s time you linked them to your Chatfuel Messenger bot. That’s why we’ve put together this ads guide for Facebook bots. From step-by-step instructions to best practices, we’ve gathered everything you need to know about combining the robust functionalities of your Chatfuel bot with the power of Facebook ads.
Linking your bot to a Facebook ad: step by step
You can link your Chatfuel bot to a Facebook ad through Ads Manager in a few simple steps.
- First, sign into Ads Manager and create a new Facebook ad campaign.
- Choose the Messages objective, which will optimize your campaign for gaining new bot users.
- For best results, deselect Instagram under the Placement section. Although an Instagram ad can redirect users to your Messenger bot, the necessary switch to the Messenger app prolongs and complicates the user experience.
- From there, ensure that your ad is linked to the correct Facebook page, as Ads Manager will select one automatically. If you have multiple pages in your Ads Manager, double check that the page that shows up under Identity is the same page your bot is linked to in Chatfuel.
- Next, you’ll select the format and add the copy, photos/video, and other creative to your ad as normal.
- The following step is to select your template under the Messenger Setup section. Choose Custom Template and remove the Frequently Asked Questions Template.
- Now, you’ll compose the first messages that will be displayed to users after they click the ad in their News Feed. You can use buttons and quick replies to suggest responses for them.
- You’ll then need to link the buttons or quick replies to your Chatfuel blocks. To do this, select Send a postback. Then enter “block name:” (without quotes) in all lowercase, and paste in the name of the block from Chatfuel. For example: “block name: Welcome message”
- Your Chatfuel bot should now be linked to your new ad! To make sure it works properly, select Preview in Messenger to test.
- When you’re ready, publish the ad!
From there, the Chatfuel Messenger bot you’ve already built will do all the work. For strategies on improving your bot itself, get expert tips from Chatfuel’s own Head of Growth.
Guidelines for best results
Now that you’ve got your bot linked to an ad campaign, make the most of the connection by following a few key best practices.
- Refer to “Messenger” in the copy of your News Feed ad. Being redirected to Messenger after clicking on a Facebook ad may be disorienting for some users, so it’s important to let them know what to expect. One easy way to do this is to use the word “Messenger” in the copy of your ad. That way, they won’t be surprised and abandon the process when they’re redirected to the Messenger app.
- Use emoji. 👉 It’s no secret that emoji can make any ad more eye catching, but they can be especially useful in an ad that directs to a Messenger bot. Use them to draw attention to the call-to-action button you want your users to select (“Send Message”). It’s an easy way to clearly inform the user of the next step you want them to take, and how to do it. You can copy and paste emoji from emojipedia.com, or use keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl + Cmd + space on Mac, Windows key + period key on PC).
- Ask “this or that” questions. If a user is motivated enough to click on your ad in their News Feed, you’ll need to get straight to the point for best results. First things first: They must respond to your welcome message to be counted as a subscriber for future retargeting. The user abandonment rate between clicking on the ad and responding to the welcome message is 50%. That means your best chance at encouraging them to move to the next step is to immediately ask a question that’s engaging, relevant, and has easy options to choose from. One example is to begin a product recommendation flow by asking the age of the person they’re shopping for, or whether they’re looking for product style A or style B.
- Use buttons instead of quick replies. Users may see your ad on any number of different devices, and not all of these devices will properly display quick replies. That’s why we recommend sticking with buttons instead. Although Messenger limits the number of buttons to three compared to the quick replies limit of eleven, it’s far better to have a few clear buttons that show up versus several quick replies that users can’t see.
- Use Lookalike audiences. A great user experience isn’t worth much if you’re not reaching the right users. The best way to maximize return on ad spend and minimize conversion costs is to utilize Lookalike audiences. Using the People tab in Chatfuel PRO, you can filter out your most valuable subscribers—like those who have purchased, completed a lead form, or have engaged the most—and upload that data to Facebook. Facebook will then find new users who are similar to those already qualified people, providing you with a wider audience more likely to interact with your ads.
Why Chatfuel bots are best for Facebook ads linking
If you built your bot in Chatfuel, the linking process is even easier than with other platforms. With Chatfuel, simply entering the block name into the ad setup is enough to connect the buttons in the welcome message to your bot’s blocks. With other platforms, you have to generate a complicated JSON code to achieve this same result. We simplify the most complex part of linking your bot to your ads so you can start enjoying the results sooner and more easily.
Learn about success stories with bot-linked Facebook ads
A popular Chatfuel case study illustrates just how impactful linking Facebook ads to your bot can be. Learn more about LEIFTECH, a high-end skateboard brand and Chatfuel client who tripled their sales with precisely this method.